After the deadly clashes, the two countries accused each other of violating the ceasefire that was implemented on Tuesday.
Armenia and Azerbaijan on Wednesday (September 14) accused each other of carrying out new attacks, following the worst violence between the two countries since the 2020 war for the disputed region of Nagorny Karabakh.
At least 100 Armenian and Azerbaijani soldiers were killed on Tuesday (September 13) in these clashes, with Russia announcing a ceasefire, but both sides have accused each other of violating it. This new deadly epidemic comes as the attention of Moscow, the traditional mediator in the region, is monopolized by its military intervention in Ukraine.
Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan said in a statement that at least 105 Armenian soldiers had been killed since Tuesday in clashes with Azerbaijan.
Both sides accuse each other
The Armenian Defense Ministry said on Wednesday that Baku “continued its attack with artillery, mortars and large caliber weapons in the direction of Jermuk, Verin Chorja“. For its part, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry admitted on Wednesday morning that Armenian forces violated the ceasefire and “attacked our positions in the areas of Kelbajar and Lachin at night with mortars and artillery.»
In a separate statement, Baku said Armenian forces fired howitzers, among other things, at three Azerbaijani villages. Armenian army spokesman Aram Torossian denied the accusations on Wednesday morning.
A quick situation
Armenia and Azerbaijan, two rival former Soviet republics in the Caucasus, have been fighting for the past three decades for control of Nagorny Karabakh. The new fighting illustrates how explosive the situation remains, in Nagorny Karabakh, but also on the official border between the two countries. Armenia called on the international community to react, while the European Union, the United States, France, Russia, Iran and Turkey all expressed serious concern and called for an end to the violence.
On Wednesday, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said the situation remains “stressed“. Russia sent peacekeepers to Nagorny Karabakh in November 2020, but since its attack on Ukraine, Moscow has been isolated on the international scene and its role as a mediator has been questioned. In recent months, The European Union led the search for a peace agreement. These negotiations made it possible to make modest progress on the issue of border demarcation and the reopening of transport routes between the two countries. country.
In April and May, Armenian leaders Nikol Pashinyan and Azerbaijani Ilham Aliev met in Brussels and agreed to resume talks. But these new battlesthat is nullifiedthese developments, says political scientist Guela Vasadze of the Georgian Center for Strategic Analysis. According to him, the violencemore radicalized public opinionin each camp.
“A new war is coming»
In Yerevan, emotions ran high Tuesday night in front of a hospital where wounded soldiers are being treated. “We have to fight for our land, our homeland, our country. We will have the victory, maybe not today, but then tomorrow“Sokrat Katchatourian, 65, told AFP. Arman Mkhitarian, 40, was sure of this:A new war is coming“given”gatheringof Azerbaijani forces on the Armenian border.
Relations between Yerevan and Baku remain poisoned over the Nagorny Karabakh question, an enclave populated mostly by Armenians that seceded from Azerbaijan with Armenia’s support. After the first war that killed more than 30,000 people in the early 1990s, Yerevan and Baku clashed again in the fall of 2020, in wars that claimed more than 6,500 lives. Armenia lost this last battle and had to surrender important territories. According to expert Gela Vasadze, the fragile ceasefire that followed only allowed “neither war nor peace“.